CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.28.2010

A Surprise in the Garden

I confess, I am not a gardener. I wouldn't say my thumb is black, but rather a dull brown instead of the desired green. I like the IDEA of gardening. I like planting the flowers and looking at how beautiful they are in front of my house. I DON'T like bugs. I am not good at the maintenance parts, like remembering to water my flowers (or knowing how much water they need). And I'm really not good at weeding. I don't enjoy it (does anyone?) and don't do it nearly often enough so when I do bite the bullet, all the weeds are completely overgrown and it 1) takes forever and 2) causes me to kill all my flowers in my attempts to extract the weeds. Our flower beds are particularly challenging for me because they are riddled with grass. We bought our house from flippers 2 1/2 years ago and unfortunately the flower beds had been completely neglected and allowed to run wild. I have attempted several times over the last couple of summers to rid the flower beds of that vile weed but alas, it always returns. Maybe everyone's flower beds have problems with grass? I don't know, you tell me.
Anywho. I'd already been a bit snarky with my husband this morning (it was 8:30) so I decided I needed a little dose of Vitamin D and thought I'd do some weeding while my husband mowed the lawn. We have this one particularly large weed that has been spilling over to the front walk that I've been meaning to get to forever.
You can see how it has melded with my petunias. So with my trowel in hand, I went to attack my foe only to notice something peculiar.
Are those teeny tomatoes? Correct me if I'm wrong or smoking crack, but I think I smell that singular smell of a tomato plant! We had a tomato plant in a pot last year but never got around to buying one this year. Perhaps a seed from last years fruits blew over to the little corner of the flower bed and hid away, dormant until now? I called my husband over to confirm my suspicions. He thought it was a little weird but had to agree, yes, it looked like a tomato plant. Now my quandary: do I leave the little plant amid my petunias to see if those are, in fact, tomatoes? Do I just rip the thing out and say "good riddance?" Or, do I attempt to transplant the veggies? I wasn't sure I could succeed at a transplant without hurting either the petunias or the tomatoes but I decided to give it a go.
They look a little sad at the moment. We'll watch them over the next week or so and see if we get any tomatoes or if Allen and I were both a little high off of lawn mower fumes this morning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment