CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

10.14.2010

Chunky Chicken and Corn Chili

Another new recipe, another success! This one is a Rachael Ray. I'm not I always like her recipes because they typically have weird ingredients or things I don't like (that's not hard) but this really didn't require any tweaking. The only thing I would do differently was I would add some beans to this next time. Seemed like it needed some.

3 Tbsp vegetable oil plus more for drizzling.
1 1/2 cups white rice (I used brown)
salt and black pepper
5 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 pounds chicken tenders, cute into bite size pieces
1 large onion, chopped (I used dried)
4 large garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp flour
1 10 ounce box  frozen corn kernels

To make the rice: heat a medium pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of the oil and add rice. Stir to coat the rice in the oil and toast lightly, for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper then add 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a bubble. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15-18 minutes until tender.
To make the chili: preheat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil. Add the chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on all sides for about 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and reserve. Add a drizzle of oil to the pot and add onion, garlic and peppers. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Dust the vegetables liberally with the flour and continues to cook for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of chicken stock to the vegetables, bring to a bubble, then stir in the corn and add chicken back to the pot. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Fluff the tender rice with a fork then divide it among four bowls. Top each portion of rice with some chili.

Notes: I used a green pepper and spicy red pepper from my mom's garden and frozen sweet corn from my uncles corn harvest last year. Delish. This took more than the 30 minutes it was supposed to but everything does for me but that could also be due to the fact that I turned the wrong burner up and the other one down in the middle of this recipe... Oops! I served it with cheddar corn bread (boxed mix with shredded cheddar cheese and some garlic salt) and topped it with some cheddar cheese and dollop of sour cream. When we ate the leftovers, we didn't put any rice in it. I used that to make some homemade from scratch chicken and rice soup. More Delish.

1 comments:

Chapples

oh, that looks really yummy. And perfect for the fall weather!

Post a Comment