Have you ever had a dream? Not like "I dreamed I danced with Elvis and Priscilla, but they were Lego's" (commonly known to some as the Lego Elvis Dream) but something you really wanted to do? I've had a lot of dreams over the years: being an actress,an artist, a dancer, a photographer, a make up artist, singing on Broadway, being the most renowned Speech Language Pathologist in the world. As I grew up most of these dreams crashed and died as I realized I can't act, I'm too big boned to be a dancer and I'd actually have to go to graduate school to be an SLP. But there is one dream that I've never really discarded. Deep down, there is a teeny part of me that thinks it's actually obtainable. I fiddle with it every now and again but I've never really pursued it. Until now. Want to know what my secret dream is?
To be an author.
I love to write. Seems strange to say that given how rarely I actually do it. But even these little blog posts bring me joy. I would love writing talks for church if I didn't ever have to give them. There's something about choosing just the write words to bring an image to mind that makes my semi-clogged heart sing. Every once in a while I start working on something and remember how happy it makes me. It could be something simple. My family's Christmas newsletter. Or something a little more important, like the talk I gave at my brother's funeral almost a year ago.
At this point in my life, there are only so many dreams I can chase after. I can't leave my little family to train and dance on the stage or quit my job, which is sometimes our only means of income, to go to beauty school. But this I can do. After my beautiful daughter is in bed, I can sit at my computer and type. Type the words that paint a picture, tell a story and maybe even inspire you or make you laugh.
And so, here I pledge to you, my very few readers, that I will continue to write. I will put more thought into my blog. I will keep a steady journal, instead of writing every month or so. And I will write whatever comes into my head. I'm working on something right now. Maybe someday it will be at a point where I can share some of it with you all.
So let's share. What are your dreams?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
I LOVED this post Amy. You're a writer already. Being a writer and being a published writer are two entirely different things! :-) Writer's write. So your goal to write more and more often will make you a writer. As far as publishing goes, take your gorgeous little girl down to the local Barnes and Noble and pick up "Writer's Market"--a big thick paperback reference book that looks like the phone book--and figure out where you are going to submit first. Have courage!!! :-)
Ah, yes.... I agree with Trinyan! You ARE a writer! :)
As for my dream? Hmmm... a little tougher! I wish I had the time to perform more... or at this rate, at all! I was prepping to audition for the Fort Worth Opera's Chorus for the spring season, but decided against it just last week since leaving Dave home with 3 little girls almost every night of the week for 3 months didn't seem very kind. So yeah, my dream would be to perform more... but "time & a season", right? :)
Yes!! Please keep writing!!! As someone who actually does not enjoy writing at all, I love reading what you come up with (Lego Elvis Dream :)
By the way, have you seen Prince of Persia? There's a cool scene with a whip that made me think of you :)
Amy I loved this, you are amazing with your words. I loved the "semi-clogged heart" and other ways you described things. I would love to read more of your writings. Did you know there is a website that you can self-publish and print off your own book for I think a decent price (like $30). That would be cool to have your own writings printed, even if you didn't try and have them really published. It's Lulu.com
As for my dreams, I'm not completely sure. I have been thinking about this a ton lately and I'm still not sure. It's hard with two kids to see past changing diapers and fits and potty training. But one thing that I have always been interested in is Photography, i think I would love to get more into that, maybe a future small business?
Post a Comment